Are you having trouble with the “Ask to Buy” feature on your iPhone or iPad? This tool helps to let you keep an eye on your child’s activities and purchases on Apple devices. But what happens when this essential feature stops working? If you’re encountering this issue, then this blog post is for you.
In this blog post, we’ll guide you on how to fix the “Ask to Buy Not Working” problem on your iPhone and iPad. We aim to help you get back control over your child’s digital shopping, ensuring nothing gets bought without your permission. We know how important it is for this function to work without a hitch, so let’s jump in and fix it!
What is Apple’s Ask to Buy Feature?
Ask to Buy is a feature designed for parents or guardians to prevent unwanted purchases by children on Apple devices. Which is a part of the family sharing system, it has been developed to control what your children are buying on the App Store, iTunes Store, or Apple Books. For this, a child can send a purchase notification to his parent for the purchase of any item and then only if his parents accept it, he can purchase that item.
This feature will automatically be set for children under 13 years of age as a rule. While for children of 13 to 18 years, it will be necessary to turn it on.
Things to keep in mind
- Remember, the “Ask to Buy” feature is only for children’s accounts.
- In some areas, your child might need to confirm their age before they can make a purchase.
- Make sure to check the Notifications panel so you don’t miss any purchase requests from your child.
How does Ask to Buy work?
- A family head can turn on the “Ask to Buy” option for any family member under 18 years old.
- If kids or teenagers want to buy something, they must get approval from their parents or guardian.
- The parent or guardian will get an alert on their device, asking if they agree to the purchase.
- If the parent or guardian gives permission, the item can be downloaded or bought on the kid’s or teen’s device.
- If the parent or guardian does not give permission, the kid or teen won’t be able to download or buy the item.
Why Ask to Buy Not Working on Apple Devices?
If the Ask to Buy not working on your Apple devices, there could be a few reasons why. Here are some points to remember:
- Both the child’s and parent’s devices need to be updated to the latest iOS or iPadOS version.
- If your Apple device is in Focus mode, try turning it off. Then, see if you start receiving time-sensitive notifications.
- Make sure that your child’s device has a unique name. You can view and change the device’s name by going to Settings > General > About > Name.
Best Ways to Fix Ask to Buy Not Working on iPhone and iPad
Here we provide some best ways to remove or fix Ask to Buy not working on Apple devices:
1. Enable and Disable the Ask to Buy Feature
If Apple’s Ask to Buy is not working, the easiest and first step to fix it is to enable and disable Ask to Buy. For this follow the following steps:
- First, open the Settings app on your iPhone. Then tap on the “Family” option below your profile.
- Then select your family member.
- Click on “Ask to Buy.”
- Finally, turn on the toggle next to “Require Purchase Approval.”
2. Allow Time Sensitive Notifications for App Store
Although this solution is not directly related, According to Apple, you need to allow time-sensitive notifications. To do this for the App Store, follow these steps:
- Open the Settings on your iPhone, then tap on Notifications.
- Scroll down until you see the App Store under Notification Style Section.
- Switch on the toggle for Time-Sensitive Notifications. This will make sure you get immediate notifications from the App Store.
Is Ask to Buy available in all countries?
Yes, This Feature is available in all countries where the Apple Family Sharing feature is available. However, age restrictions for Ask to Buy will vary by country.
Where do Ask to Buy requests go?
When a kid wants to buy something, a message is sent to the parent’s device. The message shows the name of the child, what they want to buy, and how much it costs. The parent can say yes or no to this directly from their device.
Can I turn off Ask to Buy?
Yes, you can turn off this feature. To do this: Settings App > Family > Family Member > Ask to Buy > Turn off Require Purchase Approval toggle.
That’s it! This is how you can solve the “Ask to Buy” problem on your iPhone or iPad if it’s not working. Don’t forget, to keep your devices up to date, give each one a different name, and make sure to turn on notifications for the App Store that are time-sensitive. By doing this, you’ll be able to keep a handle or control on your child’s purchases.