iOS 17 is finally here, bringing with it loads of exciting features. One feature that caught everyone’s attention is the iOS 17 StandBy Mode, also referred to as NightStand. StandBy mode allows you to turn your iPhone into a smart display by showing iOS widgets, photos, and other information when your iPhone is placed in landscape orientation and charging.
In this practical guide, I’ll show you how to activate and use Standby mode on iPhones that support iOS 17. Moreover, I will explain how to customize the StandBy mode to suit your needs. It’s time to get going and start exploring your iPhone’s standby mode!
What is StandBy Mode in iOS 17?
StandBy mode in iOS 17 turns your iPhone into a smart always-on display. When the iPhone is in StandBy mode, it displays widgets, multiple timers, weather, calendar, photos, and music.
The Nightstand mode also provides real-time updates from your favorite apps using live activities, and you can control HomeKit-enabled devices, and see rich visual results.
Whenever your iPhone is connected to power and tilted landscape-style, it automatically enters StandBy mode.
How to Enable and Use iOS 17 StandBy Mode
Follow these steps to enable and use iOS 17 StandBy mode on your iPhone:
Step 1. Go to the Settings app and select StandBy.
Step 2. Activate StandBy mode. In addition, you can enable the night mode to reduce eye strain in low-light conditions. You have to toggle Night Mode on iPhone 14 Pro or later by tapping on Night Mode and then Switching to Night Mode.
Step 3. Using a MagSafe or Lightning cable, connect your iPhone to a power source. Make sure your iPhone is placed on a stable surface in landscape orientation
How to Customize StandBy Mode Interface on iPhone
You can customize StandBy Mode in addition to its functionality. The following steps will help you customize your interface:
- Widgets View: You can add new widgets or change existing widgets in the widgets view by tapping and holding them. You can remove a widget by clicking the minus icon in the upper left corner, or you can choose a new widget and add it by clicking the plus icon. If you are satisfied with your changes, tap Done in the upper right corner.
- Gallery View: You can enter the gallery view by swiping left. You can now select which photos will appear in StandBy mode by tapping and holding anywhere on the screen. Adding photos is as simple as clicking the plus icon. If you want to remove it, you can click the minus icon later.
- Clock View: Last but not least, you can open a menu and switch between different clock styles by tapping anywhere on the screen.
Pros and Cons of StandBy Mode
- Information at a Glance: StandBy mode turns your iPhone into a smart always-on display, so you can easily see important information like the time, weather, and notifications without having to unlock your phone.
- HomeKit Control: You can use StandBy mode to control your HomeKit-enabled devices, such as lights, thermostats, and locks.
- Siri and Live Activities: Use Siri to get information and control your devices using just your voice, and see real-time updates from your favorite apps with Live Activities.
- Personalization: You can customize the StandBy interface to your liking with different watch faces, widgets, and wallpapers.
- Battery Usage: StandBy mode can use up more battery life than if your phone screen was off.
- Limited device support: StandBy mode is only available on iOS 17-supported devices.
How to disable StandBy Mode on iPhone
Here are the step-by-step instructions to disable StandBy Mode on your iPhone:
- Open the Settings app on your iPhone.
- Scroll down and tap on the “StandBy” option.
- In StandBy settings, you will see a toggle switch. Press the switch to turn it off. The switch will change from green to gray, indicating that StandBy mode is now disabled.
iOS 17 StandBy Mode Supported Devices
The StandBy mode is available for all iPhone models that support iOS 17, which includes the iPhone SE (2nd generation or later), iPhone XR, iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone 11 series, iPhone 12 series, iPhone 13 series, and iPhone 14 series. However, certain features of StandBy Mode, like the Always-On feature, are exclusive to the iPhone 14 Pro and Pro Max models.
How do I turn Off StandBy on my iPhone?
To disable StandBy mode in iOS 17, go to Settings and find the StandBy option. Turn off the toggle associated with StandBy.
Is StandBy mode available on all iPhone models?
No, StandBy mode is only available on iPhone models that support iOS 17. If your iPhone does not support iOS 17, you will not be able to use StandBy mode.