Do you wish to send voice messages from your iPhone? Voice messages offer a fresh way to connect, whether you’re giving a speedy update, expressing emotions hard to capture in text, or just trying a new way to chat.
With the introduction of iOS 16, Apple allowed users to record messages hands-free, meaning you didn’t need to press and hold the screen while recording. This feature was further enhanced in iOS 17. The iMessage microphone icon, which once converted speech to text in iOS 16, continues to allow audio messages in iOS 17. Plus, a new addition with iOS 17 lets you enable Audio Message Transcriptions to turn your voice notes into text beneath the audio clip.
Below, discover how to send voice messages on your iPhone, be it through iMessage or other popular apps. Dive in and give your chats a personal flair.
Understanding Voice Messages
A voice message is a brief audio clip sent to someone else in a conversation. Instead of typing out words, the sender records their voice and sends that recording. This method offers a deeper, more personal touch compared to regular text messages.
Advantages of Voice Messages
- Time-efficient: Faster than typing, especially for long texts.
- Expressive: Captures emotions and nuances better than text.
- Hands-free: Convenient for multitasking or chatting on-the-go.
- Clear Communication: Lessens the misunderstanding that can arise from text.
- Personal Feel: Enhances conversational intimacy and engagement.
Sending a Voice Message via iMessage
iMessage, the iPhone’s built-in messaging tool, lets you send voice notes to other iPhone users. Here’s the process:
- Launch the Messages app.
- Choose a chat or start a new one by hitting the compose icon.
- Tap the “+” icon on the left side of your chat box.
- Choose “Audio” from the options that appear.
- Your recording will start automatically. When you’re finished, tap the “Stop” icon.
- Listen to your voice message by hitting the play button.
- If the recording sounds good, tap the send (upward arrow) button to share it. If you’d like to redo it, swipe left to discard and record again.
Sending a Voice Message through Voice Memos
You can also send voice messages using the Voice Memos app. Here’s how:
- Open the Voice Memos app on your iPhone.
- Record your message, then press the record button again to stop.
- Click the More button, then select Share.
- Choose Messages app, input your recipient’s details, and click Send.
Note: Voice Memos generates M4A files. Recipients can play them on any audio player they have.
Sending a Voice Message via WhatsApp
WhatsApp, a widely-used chat app, also facilitates sending voice messages. Here’s how to do it:
- Open WhatsApp.
- Go to the desired contact’s chat.
- Hold down the microphone button on the right of the text box and swipe up.
- Record your message.
- Release the button to automatically send your voice note.
Voice messages on the iPhone offer a speedy, simple, and handy method to keep in touch. With apps like iMessage, Voice Memo, and WhatsApp, sharing voice notes is just a few taps away. Consider adding voice to your chats for a richer, more personal connection.
How do I turn on voice-to-text on my iPhone?
Go to Settings > General > Keyboard and toggle on Enable Dictation.
Can I send a voice message to someone without an iPhone via iMessage?
Yes, but it’ll be sent as an MMS. This might lead to extra charges based on your carrier’s plan.