Managing multiple phone numbers on a single device has become much simpler with the introduction of eSIM technology. In this article, we’ll walk you through how to set up eSIM on your iPhone. Follow the steps below and make the most out of this modern tech feature.
Apple began supporting eSIM technology starting with the iPhone XR and XS. This feature allows users to switch between multiple SIM cards without the hassle of physically removing them. The US iPhone 14 and 15 lineup doesn’t have a physical SIM card slot. However, international models do support one physical and one virtual eSIM. Furthermore, iPhone 15 models can support up to eight eSIMs simultaneously.
Related: How to Check Data Usage on iPhone
What’s an eSIM?
eSIM is a digital version of the traditional SIM card. It enables you to utilize your phone carrier’s network without requiring a physical SIM. This means you can have several phone numbers and data plans on a single device without swapping physical SIM cards.
Why Use eSIM?
- Simplifies changing carriers
- Can hold multiple phone numbers/plans
- Easier international travel
- More durable
- Speedier phone setup
- Less electronic waste
Traveling with eSIM
One of the major perks of eSIM is its benefits for travelers. It enhances security, especially if your iPhone gets lost or stolen. With eSIM, you maintain your connection effortlessly. If you’re traveling, you can swiftly modify SIM settings, activate a stored eSIM, or add data as necessary.
Before setting up eSIM on your iPhone, ensure:
- You have an eSIM-compatible iPhone (iPhone XR or newer).
- Your phone carrier supports eSIM.
- You’ve got an eSIM activation code (either QR code or manual).
- It’s running iOS 13 or a later version.
Setting Up eSIM on iPhone
- Unlock your iPhone and head to the Settings app. Go to Cellular.
- Click on “Add eSIM“.
- Pick how you’d like to transfer data.
- Use your iPhone’s camera to scan the QR code given by your carrier.
- If you’ve got a manual activation code, choose “Enter Details Manually” and fill in the info.
- Tap on “Convert Cellular Plan” and follow the prompts.
Note: If there’s an interruption, you might need to enter details manually.
How to Delete eSIM from iPhone
- Open Settings on your iPhone.
- Head to Cellular.
- Find and select the eSIM you wish to delete.
- Click on that eSIM.
- Scroll to the bottom and hit “Delete eSIM“.
- Confirm by tapping “Delete“.
You’ll need a fresh activation code if you decide to reuse that eSIM later.
Configuring an eSIM on your iPhone is a breeze, granting you the flexibility of using multiple numbers and data plans on one gadget. By adhering to this guide, you’ll effortlessly activate your eSIM and relish the advantages of this cutting-edge feature.
Can I use eSIM internationally?
Yes! If your carrier allows it, eSIM can be used abroad. Alternatively, buy a local eSIM plan from a provider in your destination country.
How do I turn on eSIM on my iPhone?
Navigate to Settings > tap Cellular or Mobile Data > click on Add Cellular Plan, then scan your carrier’s QR code or type in the activation info.