When you get a text on your iPhone, you can inform the sender that you’ve seen it by turning on read receipts. By default, this feature is active on iPhones and can be useful when you want to acknowledge receiving a text.
However, if you feel that this feature compromises your privacy and security, you have the option to turn it off. This guide will walk you through the steps to Turn off Read Receipts on your iPhone.
Note: It’s important to note that this feature is not applicable to regular SMS texts, and group messages do not support read receipts.
What Are Read Receipts on iPhone?
Read Receipts is a feature that informs your sender when you’ve read their messages. This feature is particularly useful for time-sensitive or important messages. When this feature is enabled, the sender receives a notification indicating that you’ve read their message.
For example, if a friend sends you a crucial meeting time, having Read Receipts on lets them know you’ve read the message promptly. When this feature is active, a small Read note appears below the read message. Otherwise, they may only see delivered at the bottom of the message.
How to Turn Off Read Receipts on iMessage
When the read receipts feature is turned on, a small Read note appears in the sender’s message, showing the time you read it. If you want to turn off read receipts for all contacts or messages, follow these steps:
- Open your iPhone’s Settings app.
- Scroll down and tap on “Messages.”
- Find the “Send Read Receipts” toggle and turn it off to disable it for all contacts.
Turn Off Read Receipts for Specific Contacts
You might want to keep read receipts turned off for some contacts while having them on for others. You can do this by:
- Open a conversation with the person in the Messages app.
- Tap their profile icon and turn off the “Send Read Receipts” switch.
Alternatively, you can disable read receipts through the Contacts app. Here’s how:
- Launch the app and open the person’s contact page.
- Select the message icon under their name.
- Tap the “person’s profile icon“.
- Turn off the switch next to “Send Read Receipts.”
That’s it! Now you know how to disable this feature on your iPhone. Remember, while read receipts can be useful for time-sensitive information, it’s entirely your choice whether to use them or not.