Apple is introducing a slew of amazing features in the latest iOS 17 update. With the release of this update, they have changed, redesigned, and added many new features to numerous apps, such as Health, Reminders, and many more. A significant change has been made to the Contacts app as well; now, you can add pronouns to a contact card.
For example, let’s say my friend’s name is David, and I want to use pronouns to identify him. Now, I can add “He” to his pronouns in the Contacts app. I’ll also be able to add two more pronouns for him, which will be displayed above his name on his contact card.
Quick overview: You can now add or assign pronouns to all the contacts which are stored on your iPhone with iOS 17. To specify a pronoun for a contact: Go to Contacts app > select the contact > tap on Edit > then tap on + Add pronoun > finally, add the related pronoun. Once added, the pronouns will appear at the top of the contact card.
What Is a Pronoun, and Why Should You Add It to a Contact?
A pronoun is a word that takes the place of a noun. For example, “David Clerk (Noun) is a content writer in Techrushi.com and He (Pronoun) writes AI tech content.”
By assigning the relevant pronoun to a contact, you simplify how to refer to that person concerning gender. In today’s world, recognizing and using the correct pronoun is not just a courtesy; it’s essential. Add them to your contacts, and show you care!
How to Assign or Add Pronouns to contact card on iPhone
Pronouns play an important role whenever we write content. Additionally, many people include their pronouns on social media profiles for better understanding and to present their gender. With iOS 17, adding pronouns to Contacts has become very easy.
You can assign pronouns to your contact cards by tweaking or altering a few settings. Beyond this, Apple has also introduced the NameDrop feature. With this, you can share pronoun contact information with your friends and family with just one click. Simply follow the steps below to add pronouns to a contact:
Note: To use this feature on your iPhone, it must be updated to iOS 17.
- To get started, launch the Contacts app and tap on the contact to whom you wish to add pronouns.
- Now tap on the “Edit button” at the top right corner of the contact card.
- Scroll down and tap on the “+” sign next to “add pronouns.”
- Next, select your preferred language by choosing the language option. (You can also choose from any of the 27 available languages.)
- Now, type in your first pronoun with reference to its accompanying sentence.
- The pronoun will be replaced in the accompanying sentence. Similarly, add your second and third pronouns.
- Once you add the pronouns, tap on “Add” in the top right corner.
- Lastly, click on “Done” at the top right side of your saved contact card.
- Now you can see the pronouns at the top of the contact card or above the saved contact name. Pronouns will now be added for the concerned contact.
And that’s how you can add pronouns for a contact on your iPhone. Follow the same process to add pronouns to your other contacts.
Where Do the Added Pronouns Appear?
The added pronouns are displayed at the top of the contact card. They will also be visible on the screen when you make or receive a call from the person whose pronouns have been added.
Delete or Remove Added Pronoun from Contact
- On your iPhone, navigate to the Contacts app, locate the contact whose pronouns you want to remove, and open their contact page. Then tap the Edit button at the top right.
- On the following page, scroll down to find the “add pronouns” field. You will see the previously-added pronouns, along with a Remove (-) button on the left side.
- Tap the Remove button, and then tap the Delete option that appears from the right side of your screen.
That’s it, folks! Adding pronouns to your iPhone Contacts with iOS 17 is a direct and important step towards respecting and recognizing individual identity. By following this guide, you can easily integrate this inclusive feature into your daily communications. Embrace this feature and take another step towards a more thoughtful and personalized connection with your contacts.