The Apple Watch has become an integral part of many people’s lives, providing health tracking and connectivity conveniently on your wrist. Among its numerous features, the Apple Watch Water Lock is particularly noteworthy, especially for swimmers or surfers.
In this blog post, I’ll delve into the Apple Watch Water Lock feature, explaining how to enable it and how to use it effectively to eject water from your Apple Watch. Let’s dive in.
What is the Apple Watch Water Lock feature?
The Water Lock feature is designed to prevent water from interacting with the touchscreen of your Apple Watch. When activated, it locks the screen, thus preventing accidental touches or swipes when you’re in the water. This feature is particularly useful during a swimming session or if you get caught in the rain.
Note: It’s important to remember that while the Water Lock helps reduce exposure to water, it does not enhance the watch’s water resistance beyond its original design.
Apple Watch Water Resistance
The Apple Watch is not waterproof, but it is water-resistant. The level of resistance varies depending on the model of the Apple Watch you have.
- Apple Watch Series 1 and 1st Generation: Water-resistant up to 1 meter deep for 30 minutes.
- Apple Watch Series 2 and later: Water-resistant up to 50 meters.
- Apple Watch Ultra: Water-resistant up to 100 meters.
Note: I recommend that scuba divers only take the Apple Watch Ultra or Ultra 2 into the water. For other models, it’s best not to bring them along.
How to Turn on Water Lock on Apple Watch
Turning on the Water Lock on your Apple Watch is a straightforward process. Here’s how you can activate it:
- Swipe up from the bottom of your Apple Watch face to open the Control Center.
- Tap the Water Lock icon (which resembles a water droplet).
- You’ll know that the Water Lock is activated when you see the water droplet at the top of your watch face.
Note: Once the Water Lock is on, the touchscreen will be disabled, so you’ll need to use the digital crown to interact with notifications.
Use Water Lock to Eject Water From an Apple Watch
If your Apple Watch gets wet or is submerged in water, you’ll need to eject the water trapped inside. The Water Lock feature assists in this by using the speakers to play a series of sounds, which helps to expel the water.
To remove water from your Apple Watch, follow these steps:
- First, enable the Water Lock on your Apple Watch.
- Press and hold the Digital Crown.
- Continue to hold the Digital Crown while sounds play through the Apple Watch’s speaker, and water is ejected.
- When the process is complete, your watch will return to the main screen, and the Water Lock icon will disappear from the top of the screen.
Note: Once the process is complete, press and hold the Digital Crown again to turn off the Apple Watch Water Lock.
That’s it! The Water Lock on Apple Watch is incredibly useful for people who are often around water. Whether you’re washing your hands, caught in the rain, or enjoying a swim, this feature is beneficial for all. It’s important to know how to use this feature properly.
I hope this guide will help you activate the Water Lock before engaging in any water-related activities and drain out any trapped water afterward.