Have you ever found yourself scrolling through your iPhone contacts, only to find that you have multiple entries for the same person? It’s a common issue that can be frustrating and time-consuming to fix. But don’t worry – in this blog post, I’ll guide you through the process of how to merge duplicate contacts on your iPhone.
Having a large contact list can make it challenging to find and Add Emergency contacts quickly. Merging duplicate contacts is an efficient way to streamline your address book. By ensuring each contact card appears only once, you can prevent clutter caused by multiple entries for the same person from different sources. Linking and displaying these contacts as unified entries will help maintain an organized and user-friendly contact list.
What is Duplicate Contact?
Duplicate contacts refer to multiple entries for the same person in your phone’s address book or contact list. This can happen for various reasons, such as syncing contacts from multiple sources (e.g., Google, iCloud, and other cloud storage), importing contacts from different devices, or manually adding the same contact more than once. Duplicate contacts can make your contact list cluttered and disorganized, making it difficult to find the right person quickly.
How to Find Duplicate Contacts on iPhone
Before you can merge duplicate contacts on your iPhone. first, you need to identify them first. To spot duplicates, Here are a few ways to locate and manage the duplicate contacts efficiently:
- Manually scroll through your contacts list and look for duplicate entries.
- Use Siri to search for specific contacts and see if multiple results show up.
- Sync your contacts with iCloud and use the online interface to spot duplicate contacts.
After syncing your contacts with iCloud, you may notice a duplicate contacts pop-up. To view this pop-up, follow these steps:
- Open Contacts on your iPhone.
- Beneath “My Card”, you may see a “Duplicate Contacts” pop-up message.
After merging duplicate contacts in iCloud, you can potentially free up some iCloud storage space.
How to Merge Duplicate Contacts on iPhone
After identifying duplicate contacts on your iPhone, merging them becomes straightforward. Apple also allows users to find and merge duplicate photos. Follow the steps below to merge duplicate contacts on your iPhone:
Merge Duplicate Contacts Manually
If you only have a few duplicate contacts to merge, you can do so manually. Follow these steps to merge duplicate contacts on your iPhone:
- Open the Contacts app on your iPhone.
- Find the duplicate contact you want to merge.
- Tap on the contact, then tap “Edit” in the top-right corner.
- Scroll down and tap “Link Contacts”.
- Choose the other contact you want to merge with the original.
- Tap “Link” in the top-right corner.
- Now Check that Both numbers are shown in these linked contacts or not and Tap “Done” to save the merged contact.
Note: This method is suitable for situations where only a few contacts are duplicated. If you have numerous duplicate contacts, this method may be more challenging.
Merge Duplicate Contacts Using the Merge option
If you have multiple duplicate contacts, follow these steps to merge them all with just one click:
- On your iPhone, open the Contacts app.
- Tap on View Duplicates.
- Select the Merge All option, and Again click on Merge to confirm it.
- Ensure both contact names and numbers are checked, then tap on Merge.
- A “Duplicates Resolved” dialog box should now appear.
Use Third-Party Apps to Merge Duplicate Contacts
For those with a large number of duplicate contacts, a third-party app may be a more efficient solution. Several apps are available in the App Store that can help you merge duplicate contacts on your iPhone. Some popular options include:
Download and install one of these apps, then follow the app’s instructions to merge duplicate contacts on your iPhone.
How to Change the Order of Contacts on iPhone
On an iPhone, contacts are displayed alphabetically based on the chosen sort order. Consequently, contacts with first names starting with “A” are grouped under “A,” those with “B” under “B,” and so on. The sorting considers the first letter of the person’s name according to your settings.
To change the order of contacts on your iPhone, follow these steps:
- Open the “Settings” app on your iPhone.
- Scroll down and tap on “Contacts”.
- In the “Contacts” settings, you’ll find two options related to the order of your contacts: “Sort Order” and “Display Order”.
- Sort Order: This setting determines how your contacts are sorted in your contact list. You can choose to sort them by “First, Last” (alphabetically by the first name) or “Last, First” (alphabetically by the last name).
- Display Order: This setting determines how each contact’s name is displayed in your contact list. You can choose to display names as “First, Last” or “Last, First”.
- Tap on either “Sort Order” or “Display Order” and select your preferred option.
- Your contact list will automatically update to reflect the chosen order.
By customizing these settings, you can organize your contact list in a way that makes it easier for you to find and access specific contacts.
Merging duplicate contacts on your iPhone is a simple process that can save you time and help organize your address book. By identifying duplicates, merging them manually, or using third-party applications, you can easily maintain a clutter-free contact list. Don’t let duplicate entries slow you down – follow these steps and enjoy an organized and efficient iPhone experience.
Can I undo a merged contact if I made a mistake?
Unfortunately, you cannot directly undo a merged contact. However, you can manually separate the information and create two separate contacts again.
Are third-party apps safe to use for merging duplicate contacts?